A Word from Greg Ronkainen, 2017-2018 First Dude
Each of us has their passion within our Kiwanis service. My passion happens to be our Service Leadership Programs (SLP) and in particular, Aktion Club.
Aktion Club is the only service club for adults with disabilities, with more than 12,000 members worldwide.
Aktion Club members set aside their personal disabilities to help others in need. Watching the men and women of Aktion Club work together in serving their community is absolutely awe-inspiring.
Simply stated, my project will focus on:
- assisting Kiwanis clubs build more Aktion clubs in Cal-Nev-Ha;
- encourage more Aktion club members to attend their convention by offering grants, and;
- finding ways in which we can encourage greater interaction between our Kiwanis, Circle K, and Aktion Clubs.
When you contribute to the First Dude’s Project, you provide adults with disabilities an opportunity for community service. Learn more
Kiwanis Clubs will be able to apply for a matching grant of up to $250 when they build an Aktion Club. In addition, Aktion Clubs will be able to apply for a grant to send their members to the annual Aktion Club convention, and Circle K Clubs will be able to apply for a grant to send up to four (4) members to attend the annual Aktion Club Convention as an adviser. Any remaining monies, at the end of the First Dude’s year, will be donated to the Foundation’s Pediatric Trauma Program.
I hope each club will join me in supporting Aktion Club and the interaction of our Service Leadership Programs. Here are some of the ways you, your members, clubs, and divisions can contribute:
- Encourage your club to support the First Dude’s Project with a club donation – Clubs will be recognized with a banner patch for contributions of $150 or more
- Develop fund raising projects with proceeds earmarked for the First Dude’s Project
- Purchase a time-limited 2017-2018 First Dude’s Pin
- Make plans now to build an Aktion Club. Learn more