Ready to make this an AWESOME summer for the kids and families in your community? We’ve compiled a list of ideas to help your club brainstorm projects that will help make this summer a great one!
Your club can . . .
- Provide swimming lessons and free swimming days to children at your local pool (check out the Kiwanis Club of Galt’s project for inspiration)!
- Hold a bike rodeo to teach safe bicycling habits and give away free items including helmets and bicycles (we have everything you need to get started).
- Host a Christmas in July parade for your community (get inspiration from the Kiwanis Club of West Covina).
- Host a block party complete with music, food, drinks, and booths where children can make their own ice cream, have their faces painted, play carnival games, and more.
- Identify low-income families by coordinating with your school district to sponsor free entrances to local amusement parks.
- Provide weekly arts and crafts and science classes to keep children occupied (check out the half-day recreation camps the Conejo Valley club hosted during the pandemic).
- Invite children to weekly hiking events to get them outdoors. Make it even more fun by creating a scavenger hunt that includes nature-related finds like flowers and small animals along the trail to teach them about wildlife (Google “nature scavenger hunt for kids” for resources including free printables)!
These are just some of many ways your club can get involved this summer. And remember, we have the grant awards to support your projects!